Career Oriented Code Curriculum for Middle School and Up.
Schools are starting to realize that a code curriculum should be real-world focused. That means students come away with both conceptual, and practical coding skills. Unfortunately, many courses/solutions offered today only offer conceptual learning.
… There are no jobs in block based coding, or in using code snippets to move a character around a screen.
How to easily teach both conceptual and practical coding
- HTML and CSS are visual, and so very engaging.
- School don’t have to buy special software to create websites. In fact, there are many free optionsthat can be used to teach with.
- You can build websites on any type of computer. Even older computers are more than powerful enough for web coding and programming. Windows, Mac, Chromebooks, Linux computers … can all be used.
- Web design and programming skills are in high demand. Students come away with skills that have economic value, whether they enter the job market, become freelancers or start a company of their own.
Because of the aforementioned advantages:
- Web languages teach both conceptual and practical coding.
- Works on any computer.
- Fun and engaging for students.
… I personally believe web based coding courses will become the preferred way to teach code in the classroom.